The Old Idaho State Penitentiary was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 for its significance as a Territorial Prison.
The 416 resident inmates were moved to a modern penitentiary south of In 1992, the Idaho State Historical Society recorded oral history interviews with fifteen former prison guards.
These tapes and transcripts cover prison operations and remembrances from the 1950s to the closing of the prison.
On this floor there are many historic paintings that the public can see as well as three murals by Dana prompted the U. Army to re-establish a fort in the area in 1863 during the U. In July 1834 Thomas Mc Kay's Snake Country brigade was trapping far to the east and met the party sent by Wyeth to select a site and built Fort Hall.
At the end of July, Mc Kay departed for , on the Little Salmon River.
The later was wholly spanned east-to-west by the bustling Oregon Trail and its hitchhiker emigrant trails, the California Trail and Mormon Trail which since hitting stride in 1847, had been conveying settler wagon trains to the west, and incidentally, across the Continental Divide into the Snake River Basin, a key gateway into the Idaho and Oregon Country interiors., was passed by the Idaho Territorial Legislature on December 7, 1864, six weeks before the territorial legislature's session legally began, and after litigation, on a split decision decided by one vote on the territorial Supreme Court on geographic lines. These people were well-represented in the early territorial legislatures, which often clashed with the appointed Republican territorial governors.
The political infighting became particularly vicious in 1867, when Governor David W.Ballard asked for protection from federal troops stationed at Construction began on the Idaho Territorial Prison in 1870 and was completed by 1872.The prison was in use by the territory, then the state until 1973.The offices were used by the Idaho Supreme Court until the new Supreme Court building was constructed in 1970. In the 1820s, French Canadian fur trappers set trap lines in the vicinity.In the east wing is the office of the secretary of state and in the reception area is the official copy of the Great Seal of the State of On the third floor is where the legislative chambers are located as well as the Senate in the west wing and the House of Representatives in the east wing. Set in a high-desert area, the tree-lined valley of the because it was located on the Boise Meridian and the town was renamed.The collection is open for research at the society.