The Penrith Agricultural Society held the first Penrith Show in 1834.
Penrith was an urban district between 18, when it was merged into Eden District.
The authority's area was coterminous with the civil parish of Penrith although when the council was abolished Penrith became an unparished area.
The cobble and gravel surfaces appeared to have been entirely ploughed out at the centre.
The road was constructed by excavating a wide, shallow trench below the level of subsoil.
Large cobbles were probably obtained from nearby, as they did not appear frequently within the subsoil in the excavated area.
The cobbles were added to the excavated subsoil and this was dumped back into the cut to form a stable foundation, which was raised in the centre of the road to form a camber.
In the 1920s Penrith Castle came into the possession of the council.
The grounds were turned into a public park, and Castle Hill or Tyne Close Housing Estate was built nearby.
Further pre-war council housing was built at Fair Hill and Castletown and after World War II at Scaws, Townhead and Pategill The district was surrounded on three sides by the Penrith Rural District; the southern boundary, marked by the River Eamont, was with Westmorland.